June 6, 2013 9:48:52 AM
A New Hope woman and her husband were arrested Monday on suspicion of smuggling a baby across the Mexican border.
Candice Renee Bragg, 38 and Cliff Bragg, 42, both of 393 Rogers Way in New Hope were arrested by local and federal authorities late Monday afternoon for their suspected role in smuggling a baby from Mexico.
Sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to it being a federal investigation, said two children were removed from the home, a child of unknown gender approximately three months old and a six-year-old boy. Officials believe the infant was smuggled into the country and are investigating the possibility that the six-year-old is a smuggling victim as well. The children were taken into the custody of the Department of Human Services.
Originally from Texas, the couple moved to Columbus for Cliff Bragg to work at Severstal.
The Braggs were arrested and booked into the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center at 6:30 p.m. Monday. The charge on their separate mug shots each reads "Holding for another jurisdiction." The two are reportedly wanted for questioning in Texas.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bond revoked again for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Pride parade reconsideration prospects grim STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators trying to ID owner of gun found at Columbus Middle School COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two men vying for CMSD board vacancy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY