June 10, 2013 9:47:49 AM
A West Point man has been charged with murder in the Sunday morning shooting death of a Columbus man.
The Columbus Police Department issued a statement Sunday that said John Easley aka "Kong Kong", 47, was found dead in the passenger side of 2004 Chevy Malibu in the 1600 block of Highway 45 North just before 3:30 a.m.
Officers discovered Easley's body after responding to a 911 call about an automobile accident. When the officers arrived, they discovered Easley with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to the CPD.
Lowndes County Corner Greg Merchant pronounced Easley dead on scene after 5 a.m. Merchant declined to confirm the location of the wound or the number of gunshot wounds. He said an autopsy would be performed today.
During a search of the area, officers located James Newsom, 30, of West Point, on Lincoln Road. Lincoln Road runs between Wendy's restaurant and Kroger Shopping Center. Newsom was arrested on scene and charged with murder. He is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center awaiting bond. The incident remains under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Columbus mayoral race gets ugly COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life in prison for capital murder of Lowndes teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ceco property sold to investment group COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Business booms for Starkville startup Glo STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. E-911 workers get ultimatum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY