August 14, 2009 10:08:00 AM
A recent sharp decline in business led to a large round of layoffs at Columbus'' Omnova Solutions plant in East Columbus.
Omnova officials last month announced the plant would be cutting eight salaried positions and 24 union hourly positions at the decorative products manufacturing facility on Yorkville Road East.
"That location manufactures commercial wall coverings and other decorative products," said Sandi Noah, director of communications at Omnova''s central office in Fairlawn, Ohio.
"Demand for those products has decreased significantly," Noah added. "We have been monitoring the demand for those products, and we feel like we are now staffed correctly for that demand."
The plant now has a staff of 283, of which about 100 are salaried employees, Noah explained.
Messages left at the Columbus facility had not been returned Thursday.
1. Second Baptist feud over construction intensifies STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Delta crash response: 'A somber, purpose-driven' mood COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus Boys and Girls Club reaps what it sows COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Property swap may be option for Southside project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY