June 27, 2013 10:10:55 AM
A missing Aberdeen man has been found dead.
The body of William Harold Wright was discovered late Wednesday afternoon in the Bartachie River after Monroe law enforcement received a tip.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell said Wright's body was discovered in his vehicle.
"We got a tip, went down there and found his vehicle," Cantrell said. "Mr. Wright was in there."
Cantrell said the body was discovered approximately one mile off of Wolfe Road and 300 yards east of Cochran Bridge.
The body will be sent to Jackson today for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Cantrell declined to say whether foul play was suspected.
"We're going to determine if there was any foul play or if he just had an accident and ran off the road. We're going to find out exactly what happened," he said.
Cantrell said the results of the autopsy should be returned in the next several days.
Wright, 69, had been missing since April 14. He was last seen in Caledonia on April 11. The Lowndes County Sheriff's Department assisted Monroe County officials in the search.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Armyworms ravaging yards, pastures COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Holloway convicted on simple assault charges STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Golden Triangle native asks for children's books to restock Baton Rouge library COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Missing Starkville woman returns home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Property re-appraisals show stability in real estate market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY