July 1, 2013 8:19:08 AM
TUPELO -- The Tupelo Furniture Market is receiving $250,000 from the state to market the biannual show.
The 2013 Legislature approved the funding. The money will come from the Forest and Wildlife Research Center at the state College Board.
The market has not gotten any state money for the past two years.
Furniture Market President Kevin Seddon tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that the money will help recruit thousands of exhibitors and retail buyers to the market, which is a showcase for many of the region's upholstered furniture manufacturers.
Several out-of-state companies also show at twice-yearly markets, which attract buyers from nearly all 50 states and several foreign countries.
Roughly 20,000 people attend the spring and fall markets in Tupelo.
The next market is scheduled for Aug. 15-18.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS