July 1, 2013 8:19:08 AM
TUPELO -- The Tupelo Furniture Market is receiving $250,000 from the state to market the biannual show.
The 2013 Legislature approved the funding. The money will come from the Forest and Wildlife Research Center at the state College Board.
The market has not gotten any state money for the past two years.
Furniture Market President Kevin Seddon tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that the money will help recruit thousands of exhibitors and retail buyers to the market, which is a showcase for many of the region's upholstered furniture manufacturers.
Several out-of-state companies also show at twice-yearly markets, which attract buyers from nearly all 50 states and several foreign countries.
Roughly 20,000 people attend the spring and fall markets in Tupelo.
The next market is scheduled for Aug. 15-18.
1. Saturday night fire destroys Columbus home COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Open Meetings Act violation claim expected against Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Bill targeting open meetings has Columbus roots COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SPD seek armed robbery suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. After 11 years as EMCC president, Young stepping down COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY