August 19, 2009 9:42:00 AM
The Columbus Police Department Saturday arrested Shirley Harris, 46, of 1709 Fourth Ave. S., for hitting a man in the head with an ax.
Harris is charged with aggravated assault with a weapon, stemming from an Aug. 2 incident in which a man sustained a blow to the head from an ax.
Police were dispatched to the 1700 block of Fourth Avenue South in response to a brawl shortly before 1 a.m. Aug. 2. No arrests were made initially, but officers were called back to the area about an hour later and discovered Robert Mitchell lying in the street bleeding profusely from an ax wound to the head.
Harris was identified by witnesses as Mitchell''s assailant, but some witnesses later recanted their testimony. A warrant for Harris'' arrest was issued Aug. 6. She was apprehended Aug. 15 at Kroger on Highway 45 North.
Mitchell was transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. His condition is unknown, but he was able to provide the CPD with a statement shortly after the attack.
Harris was identified by the CPD as the initial complainant to call police Aug. 2, telling police several men attacked her brother.
Leeroy Jenkins commented at 8/19/2009 2:23:00 PM:
Don't mess with THAT woman!!!
14/88 commented at 8/21/2009 7:46:00 AM:
I don't have to say anything....you already know.
1. Columbus man to spend 35 years in MDOC for 2015 club shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY