July 12, 2013 9:54:14 AM
MOSCOW -- A Russian official of Amnesty International says he plans to meet with Edward Snowden, the leaker of U.S. National Security Agency secrets.
Sergei Nikitin, head of the rights organization's Russia office, told The Associated Press the meeting would take place today, but he declined to say where. However, the head of the Moscow lawyers' association, Genri Reznik, was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying the meeting has been called for 4:30 p.m. at Moscow's Sheremetyevo international airport.
Snowden is believed to have been stuck in the transit zone at Sheremetyevo as he negotiates for asylum in another country.
Russian news agencies reported that Snowden had called on several organizations, among them Transparency International and Human Rights Watch, to meet with him at the airport.
1. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. House built by and for freed slaves for sale in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Two arrested for child endangerment in marijuana bust COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Flier calling for boycotts further disrupts divisive Southside development issue COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Second Baptist deacons to release offering to trustees, finance committee STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY