July 12, 2013 9:54:14 AM
MOSCOW -- A Russian official of Amnesty International says he plans to meet with Edward Snowden, the leaker of U.S. National Security Agency secrets.
Sergei Nikitin, head of the rights organization's Russia office, told The Associated Press the meeting would take place today, but he declined to say where. However, the head of the Moscow lawyers' association, Genri Reznik, was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying the meeting has been called for 4:30 p.m. at Moscow's Sheremetyevo international airport.
Snowden is believed to have been stuck in the transit zone at Sheremetyevo as he negotiates for asylum in another country.
Russian news agencies reported that Snowden had called on several organizations, among them Transparency International and Human Rights Watch, to meet with him at the airport.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. One dead after downtown Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY