July 13, 2013 6:46:40 PM
JACKSON -- A Mississippi congressman is calling on President Barack Obama to quickly nominate someone to succeed Janet Napolitano as secretary of homeland security.
Rep. Bennie Thompson is the top Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee. He's also asking senators to quickly confirm a nominee once the president makes a choice.
Napolitano said Friday that she will leave the Cabinet to take a job leading the University of California system.
Thompson issued a news release thanking Napolitano for her more than four years of service at the Department of Homeland Security, which responds to man-made and natural disasters. He says she has been a "steady hand" in leading an agency with more than 240,000 employees.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Starkville Utilities employee arrested for embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY