July 13, 2013 6:46:40 PM
JACKSON -- A Mississippi congressman is calling on President Barack Obama to quickly nominate someone to succeed Janet Napolitano as secretary of homeland security.
Rep. Bennie Thompson is the top Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee. He's also asking senators to quickly confirm a nominee once the president makes a choice.
Napolitano said Friday that she will leave the Cabinet to take a job leading the University of California system.
Thompson issued a news release thanking Napolitano for her more than four years of service at the Department of Homeland Security, which responds to man-made and natural disasters. He says she has been a "steady hand" in leading an agency with more than 240,000 employees.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Five arrested in suspected fraud operation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville could settle Pride lawsuit this week STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY