July 13, 2013 6:46:40 PM
JACKSON -- A Mississippi congressman is calling on President Barack Obama to quickly nominate someone to succeed Janet Napolitano as secretary of homeland security.
Rep. Bennie Thompson is the top Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee. He's also asking senators to quickly confirm a nominee once the president makes a choice.
Napolitano said Friday that she will leave the Cabinet to take a job leading the University of California system.
Thompson issued a news release thanking Napolitano for her more than four years of service at the Department of Homeland Security, which responds to man-made and natural disasters. He says she has been a "steady hand" in leading an agency with more than 240,000 employees.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY