July 19, 2013 11:14:10 AM
A Columbus firefighter has been arrested for cyberstalking.
Billy Ray Clark, 45, of 1057 West Bank Access Road, was arrested by investigators with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office Thursday morning and charged with cyberstalking. He was transported to the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center where he received a $7,500 bond for the felony charge. He bonded out late Thursday night.
Clark, a longtime employee of Columbus Fire and Rescue, was also arrested in June in Oktibbeha County for misdemeanor contempt of court.
The contempt of court charge and cyberstalking charge stem from an ongoing divorce between Clark and his wife.
Fire Chief Kenneth Moore declined to comment, citing the matter as a personnel issue.
Clark remains employed with the CFD.
Cyberstalking carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY