July 24, 2013 10:40:38 AM
MIAMI -- A new tropical depression has formed in the eastern Atlantic and is expected to soon become a tropical storm.
The depression's maximum sustained winds early today are near 35 mph. The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says it's forecast to reach tropical storm strength later in the day or tonight.
The depression is centered about 310 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde Islands, off the coast of west Africa, and is moving west-northwest near 20 mph.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY