July 24, 2013 10:40:38 AM
MIAMI -- A new tropical depression has formed in the eastern Atlantic and is expected to soon become a tropical storm.
The depression's maximum sustained winds early today are near 35 mph. The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says it's forecast to reach tropical storm strength later in the day or tonight.
The depression is centered about 310 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde Islands, off the coast of west Africa, and is moving west-northwest near 20 mph.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY