July 24, 2013 10:40:38 AM
MIAMI -- A new tropical depression has formed in the eastern Atlantic and is expected to soon become a tropical storm.
The depression's maximum sustained winds early today are near 35 mph. The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says it's forecast to reach tropical storm strength later in the day or tonight.
The depression is centered about 310 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde Islands, off the coast of west Africa, and is moving west-northwest near 20 mph.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY