July 24, 2013 10:40:38 AM
MIAMI -- A new tropical depression has formed in the eastern Atlantic and is expected to soon become a tropical storm.
The depression's maximum sustained winds early today are near 35 mph. The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says it's forecast to reach tropical storm strength later in the day or tonight.
The depression is centered about 310 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde Islands, off the coast of west Africa, and is moving west-northwest near 20 mph.
1. Ex-employee threatens shooting at Zaxby's COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. In his DNA: Shepherd plays key role in cold case arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Volunteers host local arts bazaar in Starkville Sunday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha County's chancery candidates preparing for nonpartisan race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gavin: Poor schools stunt city's growth COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY