July 30, 2013 9:32:44 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
BROOKSVILLE -- Authorities say a child has died after being run over in an apparent accident.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant tells WTVA TV that 11-year-old Kirby Theodore Decker was standing on a trailer at the family farm while someone else was moving it a short distance.
Merchant says it appeared something came dislodged and Decker fell. The driver of the truck then accidentally ran over the child.
Family members took Decker to Brooksville where an ambulance transported him to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus.
Decker was pronounced dead shortly after 4 p.m. Monday.
Merchant says the death has been ruled accidental.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY