July 30, 2013 9:32:44 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
BROOKSVILLE -- Authorities say a child has died after being run over in an apparent accident.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant tells WTVA TV that 11-year-old Kirby Theodore Decker was standing on a trailer at the family farm while someone else was moving it a short distance.
Merchant says it appeared something came dislodged and Decker fell. The driver of the truck then accidentally ran over the child.
Family members took Decker to Brooksville where an ambulance transported him to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus.
Decker was pronounced dead shortly after 4 p.m. Monday.
Merchant says the death has been ruled accidental.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY