State representative Tyrone Ellis
July 31, 2013 10:11:20 AM
State representative Tyrone Ellis is in ICU at Baptist Medical Center in Jackson after suffering a stroke, hospital officials confirmed this morning.
Fellow House of Representatives members were notified of Ellis' hospitalization on Tuesday via email. Ellis reportedly suffered the stroke Monday night.
Ellis is a Democrat from Starkville and represents House District 38.
Rep. Esther Harrison (D-Lowndes County) said she spoke with Ellis and said he is in good spirits. Ellis, who has served in the state legislature for 33 years, turned 67 today.
"He's doing well even though he's had a stroke and in ICU," Harrison said. "I did talk with him and he sounds very well. He sounds OK and was hoping he would be transferred to a room today or tomorrow."
Ellis currently serves as the Democratic Whip and is "very involved" in the party, Harrison said.
"He's been very active with the party and working for other democratic candidates," she said.
Ellis was first elected to the House in 1980. In addition to his role as a member of the House, he is also the pastor of Second Running Water Baptist Church.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY