August 3, 2013 6:29:41 PM
Columbus police arrested Junior Guyton, 75, of 913 16th St., Columbus, after the vehicle he was driving struck another car in a head-on collision near the intersection of Miss. Highway 82 and Miss. Highway 69 Friday near noon, CPD Sgt. Bill Smith said.
At least one felony charge was pending Friday but not disclosed by CPD. An exact time of the accident was also unavailable.
Smith said it appeared the 1995 Honda Accord Guyton was driving first entered a nearby bank drive-through lane the wrong way and struck a pole. Guyton continued driving, turned westbound on Miss. Highway 82 in the wrong lane and struck a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am head-on.
At least five juveniles and an adult female were passengers in Guyton's vehicle at the time of the wreck, Smith said. The children were treated for injuries at the scene and transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle, he said. The extent of their injuries and the condition of the other vehicle's driver were unknown at press time.
Guyton was taken into police custody and transported to the Lowndes County Jail.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Columbus man accused of molestation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man killed in University Hills Mobile Home Park shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Mother, daughter charged with crack possession STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Imagination Library begins in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Auto burglary suspect arrested after foot chase STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY