August 6, 2013 9:34:24 AM
JACKSON -- Attorneys for Eaton Corp. asked the Mississippi Supreme Court on Monday to reinstate its $1 billion trade secrets lawsuit against a rival, Frisby Aerospace.
A Hinds County judge in 2010 threw out the case, saying Eaton knew about and sanctioned secret actions that attorney Ed Peters took to influence former judge Bobby DeLaughter, the initial judge on the case.
Frisby attorneys say Peters worked behind the scenes to influence DeLaughter and give Eaton an unfair advantage in the civil case.
Eaton attorney Luther Munford argued Monday that there was no "clear and convincing evidence" that Eaton was guilty of fraud and the lower court used the wrong standard in dismissing the case and issuing a $1.5 million fine.
"The evidence before the court was not sufficient to support the sanction," Munford said.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Industrial park bonds set for fall issuance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY