A single-car accident killed a Clay County man and injured his passenger Tuesday night on Miss. Highway 389. The car, pictured above, crossed the center line before leaving the road and striking a tree, Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said. Photo by: Courtesy photo/Oktibbeha County Fire Services
August 8, 2013 10:04:36 AM
Brandon Lee White, 26, of Clay County, was killed in a single-car accident after the vehicle he was driving hit a tree off of Miss. Highway 389, an Oktibbeha County coroner's assistant confirmed Wednesday.
Oktibbeha County first responders were dispatched to the scene north of Starkville's city limits just after 9 p.m. County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said it appeared the vehicle, which was traveling northbound at the time of the accident, crossed the center line, left the road and struck a tree at a high rate of speed.
White was pronounced dead at the scene, Assistant Coroner Billy Miller said. A passenger in the car was able to exit the vehicle under his own power and was not seriously injured. That passenger was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center for observation, Miller said.
It is not known if drugs or alcohol contributed to the wreck. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is handling the investigation.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police searching for suspect in death of Starkville woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY