A single-car accident killed a Clay County man and injured his passenger Tuesday night on Miss. Highway 389. The car, pictured above, crossed the center line before leaving the road and striking a tree, Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said. Photo by: Courtesy photo/Oktibbeha County Fire Services
August 8, 2013 10:04:36 AM
Brandon Lee White, 26, of Clay County, was killed in a single-car accident after the vehicle he was driving hit a tree off of Miss. Highway 389, an Oktibbeha County coroner's assistant confirmed Wednesday.
Oktibbeha County first responders were dispatched to the scene north of Starkville's city limits just after 9 p.m. County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said it appeared the vehicle, which was traveling northbound at the time of the accident, crossed the center line, left the road and struck a tree at a high rate of speed.
White was pronounced dead at the scene, Assistant Coroner Billy Miller said. A passenger in the car was able to exit the vehicle under his own power and was not seriously injured. That passenger was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center for observation, Miller said.
It is not known if drugs or alcohol contributed to the wreck. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is handling the investigation.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville Utilities employee arrested for embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY