August 9, 2013 9:12:37 AM
BOSTON -- Two college friends of suspected Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were indicted Thursday for allegedly trying to thwart investigators by throwing away fireworks and other items they found in Tsarnaev's dorm room the day before his capture.
Authorities later discovered the fireworks in a New Bedford landfill, the federal indictment says.
Dias Kadyrbayev and Azamat Tazhayakov, both 19 and nationals of Kazakhstan, face charges of conspiracy to obstruct justice. The two, who were in the U.S. attending college and shared an apartment in New Bedford, have been detained since they were charged in a criminal complaint in May.
If convicted, they face up to 20 years in prison. Both are scheduled for arraignment Tuesday.
Tazhayakov's attorney, Arkady Bukh, said his client did nothing wrong and he's tried for months to convince authorities to drop the case.
"For me, this sounds like a witch hunt," he said. "And this is the same view (my) client has."
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY