August 15, 2013 8:27:56 PM
After seven hours of deliberation, an Oktibbeha County jury found Brian Holliman guilty of first degree murder. Holliman was found guilty of the 2008 shooting death of his wife, Laura Lee Godfrey Holliman. Jurors found that Brian Holliman demonstrated "expressed malice" when he shot Laura Lee Holliman in the face with a shotgun.
After the verdict was read, Brian Holliman quietly hung his head before being taken into custody.
First degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison.
A full report will follow in tomorrow's Dispatch.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Police release more details on cold case murder arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Defendant shows up to court high COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Having a voice: Tyler Edmonds seeks compensation from Mississippi for three years he spent in prison COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Documents: Nicholas seeks tourism rebate for hotel, won't pursue local TIF funds STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Man accused of stealing meat from Sunflower found not guilty COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY