August 15, 2013 8:27:56 PM
After seven hours of deliberation, an Oktibbeha County jury found Brian Holliman guilty of first degree murder. Holliman was found guilty of the 2008 shooting death of his wife, Laura Lee Godfrey Holliman. Jurors found that Brian Holliman demonstrated "expressed malice" when he shot Laura Lee Holliman in the face with a shotgun.
After the verdict was read, Brian Holliman quietly hung his head before being taken into custody.
First degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison.
A full report will follow in tomorrow's Dispatch.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Air Force Base receives best-ever inspection rating in 2017 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Courage and class: New Hope teacher uses her breast cancer fight to impart life lessons COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Winning Market Street artist overcomes heavy odds COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Tabernacle shooting suspect nabbed in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville works to improve cash monitoring after Parks embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY