August 23, 2013 10:01:15 AM
HAMILTON -- A freight train struck a car stalled Thursday at a crossing in Monroe County, slightly injuring the car's driver.
It happened about 12:30 p.m. Jessie Thomas was driving on Stovall Crossing Road when his car stalled on the tracks.
Monroe County authorities tell WCBI-TV that the 50-year-old Thomas just recently moved from New York to Hamilton and may not have been aware of his surroundings. He was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.
Hamilton residents said the crossing has always been a problem.
"You really have to look both ways when you get to this track and several people have gotten hurt and several people have gotten killed on this track," said Laverne Lindsey, who lives in Hamilton.
Residents said they'd like to see some changes made at the track.
"Since I've lived in Stovall bottom several accidents have happened at this very crossing and we haven't been aggressive enough as far as getting a light at this exit," added Bernard Smith, another resident.
Lindsey said a railroad crossing with flashing lights would benefit the area.
1. Dog gives his life protecting child from rattlesnake COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 2 dead in Oktibbeha County car crash STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. MSU blue-chip guard popped for DUI STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD welcomes 11 new officers to force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Reclaiming the past: Local businessman making living selling salvaged material for new construction COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY