August 23, 2013 10:01:15 AM
HAMILTON -- A freight train struck a car stalled Thursday at a crossing in Monroe County, slightly injuring the car's driver.
It happened about 12:30 p.m. Jessie Thomas was driving on Stovall Crossing Road when his car stalled on the tracks.
Monroe County authorities tell WCBI-TV that the 50-year-old Thomas just recently moved from New York to Hamilton and may not have been aware of his surroundings. He was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.
Hamilton residents said the crossing has always been a problem.
"You really have to look both ways when you get to this track and several people have gotten hurt and several people have gotten killed on this track," said Laverne Lindsey, who lives in Hamilton.
Residents said they'd like to see some changes made at the track.
"Since I've lived in Stovall bottom several accidents have happened at this very crossing and we haven't been aggressive enough as far as getting a light at this exit," added Bernard Smith, another resident.
Lindsey said a railroad crossing with flashing lights would benefit the area.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Leroy Brooks pushes county pay raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY