September 5, 2013 10:33:37 AM
GULFPORT -- Federal authorities in south Mississippi have charged a man with trying to trade a Gulfport bar for a large quantity of cocaine.
Victor Darnell Williams was arrested Friday. He appeared in U.S. District Court in Gulfport on Monday for a preliminary hearing.
The judge said there was enough evidence to send the case to a grand jury. He ordered Williams held without bond.
A complaint filed in federal court said Williams met with a police informant several times from June through August in an attempt to by a large amount of cocaine for distribution.
The complaint, written by a DEA agent, said Williams claimed to own the Eclipse Sports Bar in Gulfport and that he and the informant agreed to a deal in which Williams would trade the bar for 12 kilograms of cocaine in exchange for the bar.
Williams was arrested when the two drove to a hotel for what Williams allegedly thought was at trip to pick up the drugs.
1. LCSO names suspect in Crawford shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Shots fired near the Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY