September 8, 2013 12:26:34 AM
DALLAS -- Two male cheetah cubs have joined the Dallas Zoo population. Zoo officials have marked the occasion by providing them with a puppy.
The 8-week-old feline brothers, Winspear and Kamau, were born July 8 at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal, Va.
The zoo is providing them with an 8-week-old black Labrador retriever puppy named Amani. According to a zoo statement, Amani means "peace" in Swahili.
Since Labs are easygoing in public settings and since the pup will grow with the cubs, zoo experts believe he'll provide a calming influence for the cats.
Winspear and Kamau will join the zoo's Animal Adventures outreach program to help teach the public about their highly endangered species.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man to spend 35 years in MDOC for 2015 club shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Five arrested in suspected fraud operation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY