September 9, 2013 9:25:06 AM
A two-car collision claimed the life of a Columbus woman Saturday night.
Florence Little McCully, 53, of Columbus, died at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle after she was involved in a head-on collision just after 10:20 p.m. Saturday, according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
The accident occurred on Highway 45 North near the Texaco gas station by the Oakdale subdivision, before the east gate of Columbus Air Force Base.
McCully was driving her Mazda Protege in the southbound lane when she collided with a Chevrolet Cruse driven by 25-year-old Michael McManus of Columbus, the MHP said in a press release.
McCully and McManus were transported to Baptist where McCully was pronounced dead on arrival. The extent of McManus's injuries were described as "serious" by the highway patrol, but no other information on his condition was released.
The accident is still under investigation.
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY