September 9, 2013 9:25:06 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A two-car collision claimed the life of a Columbus woman Saturday night.
Florence Little McCully, 53, of Columbus, died at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle after she was involved in a head-on collision just after 10:20 p.m. Saturday, according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
The accident occurred on Highway 45 North near the Texaco gas station by the Oakdale subdivision, before the east gate of Columbus Air Force Base.
McCully was driving her Mazda Protege in the southbound lane when she collided with a Chevrolet Cruse driven by 25-year-old Michael McManus of Columbus, the MHP said in a press release.
McCully and McManus were transported to Baptist where McCully was pronounced dead on arrival. The extent of McManus's injuries were described as "serious" by the highway patrol, but no other information on his condition was released.
The accident is still under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. SPED parent speaks at school board meeting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police chief retiring at year's end COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local toy drives, fundraisers still short of goals COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Commission delays decision on Lipscomb House demolition COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County OKs franchise agreement with MaxxSouth STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY