September 10, 2013 9:45:35 AM
JACKSON -- A financially troubled St. Louis, Mo., furniture company that operates several facilities in Mississippi is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is set to lay off its 1,451-person workforce in the state.
Furniture Brands International designs, manufactures and markets furniture under a variety of notable brand names, including Broyhill and Thomasville. Its Lane Furniture division operates manufacturing plants in Belden and Saltillo, as well as distribution centers in Verona and Wren and an office in Verona. Furniture Brands employs about 8,900 people globally.
Gloria Neal, chief of workforce services for the Mississippi Department of Employment Security, tells The Clarion-Ledger the company filed notice Monday of the layoffs. She said the filing indicated the layoffs would start Oct. 14.
1. Oktibbeha man dies in weekend wreck STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Jeb Bush to attend Egg Bowl STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Vasquez murder: Vasquez's family responds to Martinez's release COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Carleton joins Oxford police force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Christmas festivities planned for downtown Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY