September 10, 2013 9:45:35 AM
JACKSON -- A financially troubled St. Louis, Mo., furniture company that operates several facilities in Mississippi is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is set to lay off its 1,451-person workforce in the state.
Furniture Brands International designs, manufactures and markets furniture under a variety of notable brand names, including Broyhill and Thomasville. Its Lane Furniture division operates manufacturing plants in Belden and Saltillo, as well as distribution centers in Verona and Wren and an office in Verona. Furniture Brands employs about 8,900 people globally.
Gloria Neal, chief of workforce services for the Mississippi Department of Employment Security, tells The Clarion-Ledger the company filed notice Monday of the layoffs. She said the filing indicated the layoffs would start Oct. 14.
1. Columbus mayoral race gets ugly COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life in prison for capital murder of Lowndes teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ceco property sold to investment group COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. E-911 workers get ultimatum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Young gets 50 years for 2015 gas station shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY