September 11, 2013 9:25:31 AM
JACKSON -- Ike Brown of Noxubee County has been removed from his seat on the Mississippi Democratic Party Executive Committee.
Democratic Party chairman Ricky Cole said in a statement Tuesday that the committee this past weekend upheld a decision by its Appeals Council. Cole says the council had ruled in June that Brown did not receive sufficient votes at the 2012 3rd Congressional District Convention to be elected to the state executive committee.
Cole says Brown remains chairman of the Noxubee County Democratic Executive Committee.
Brown was convicted six years ago of discriminating against white voters in Noxubee County. He was barred by a federal judge from having a role in elections in Noxubee County.
That order expired last December.
1. Columbus mayoral race gets ugly COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life in prison for capital murder of Lowndes teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ceco property sold to investment group COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. E-911 workers get ultimatum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Young gets 50 years for 2015 gas station shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY