September 12, 2013 10:03:26 AM
MIAMI -- Hurricane Humberto (oom-BEHR'-toh) is maintaining its strength far out over the Atlantic.
The Category 1 hurricane has maximum sustained winds early today near 85 mph with gradual weakening forecast to begin later in the day.
Humberto is centered about 440 miles northwest of the Cape Verde Islands and is moving north near 14 mph.
Meanwhile, Tropical Depression Gabrielle (ga-bree-EHL') is moving away from Bermuda after drenching the British territory. The depression's maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph and the U.S. National Hurricane Center says Gabrielle could regain tropical storm strength.
The depression is centered about 190 miles west-northwest of Bermuda and is moving northwest near 7 mph.
1. CMSD releases further information on superintendent candidates COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Photos: Budweiser Clydesdales in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Air Force base set to host air show COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. More Highway 12 work begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY