September 12, 2013 10:03:26 AM
MIAMI -- Hurricane Humberto (oom-BEHR'-toh) is maintaining its strength far out over the Atlantic.
The Category 1 hurricane has maximum sustained winds early today near 85 mph with gradual weakening forecast to begin later in the day.
Humberto is centered about 440 miles northwest of the Cape Verde Islands and is moving north near 14 mph.
Meanwhile, Tropical Depression Gabrielle (ga-bree-EHL') is moving away from Bermuda after drenching the British territory. The depression's maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph and the U.S. National Hurricane Center says Gabrielle could regain tropical storm strength.
The depression is centered about 190 miles west-northwest of Bermuda and is moving northwest near 7 mph.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY