September 13, 2013 11:22:36 AM
TUPELO -- Police say they will not file charges against the driver of a semitrailer rig that rolled into a car and a business, killing two people.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports the accident happened Sept.6.
Tupelo Police Lt. Tim Clouse says an investigation showed the truck driver didn't set the parking brake before getting out, and the truck rolled away.
Clouse calls the accident a freak, but said family members of the victims can pursue a civil case.
The driver was not identified.
The accident happened when the driverless rig rolled down the Mitchell Road extension and collided with a Chevrolet HHR, pushing it into an insurance company office.
The car's occupants -- 20-year-old Olidia Acosta and 2-year-old Vianett Castillo, 2, both of Shannon -- were killed.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY