September 13, 2013 11:22:36 AM
TUPELO -- Police say they will not file charges against the driver of a semitrailer rig that rolled into a car and a business, killing two people.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports the accident happened Sept.6.
Tupelo Police Lt. Tim Clouse says an investigation showed the truck driver didn't set the parking brake before getting out, and the truck rolled away.
Clouse calls the accident a freak, but said family members of the victims can pursue a civil case.
The driver was not identified.
The accident happened when the driverless rig rolled down the Mitchell Road extension and collided with a Chevrolet HHR, pushing it into an insurance company office.
The car's occupants -- 20-year-old Olidia Acosta and 2-year-old Vianett Castillo, 2, both of Shannon -- were killed.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY