September 18, 2013 9:56:11 AM
A Lowndes County couple was arrested Monday after they led law enforcement on a high-speed chase through Columbus.
Antwon Jordan, 44, and Latonya Shelton, 28, were arrested Monday and charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. Jordon was also charged with resisting arrest while Shelton received an additional charge of felony eluding. A third passenger in the vehicle fled on foot.
A press release issued by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department said an arrest of the third suspect is expected soon.
The arrest and chase stemmed from an attempted traffic stop. Narcotics Commander Bobby Grimes said his agents had received a tip regarding the suspects.
"We had gotten information that they were in the area selling cocaine," Grimes said.
A search of the couple's home at 59 Spann Lane produced a stolen firearm, cocaine, synthetic marijuana (aka spice) and items used to manufacture cocaine.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Bucket-list rides STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY