September 24, 2013 10:01:11 AM
A series of search warrants and raids led to the seizure of nearly $40,000 in suspected drug money.
Assistant Commander Archie Williams with the Lowndes County Narcotics Division said agents seized more than $37,000 in cash along with cocaine and marijuana from three homes in Lowndes County over the past week. The search warrants stemmed from the arrest of a Columbus couple that law enforcement believes to be cocaine distributors.
"We're not only looking into not only dealing with street level dealers but people we consider distributors," Williams said.
Antwon Jordan, 44, and Latonya Shelton, 28, were arrested last Monday and charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute after they led narcotics agents and Lowndes County sheriff's deputies on a high speed chase through the city. Over an ounce of cocaine and $8,000 in cash was discovered in the couple's possession.
Their arrests then lead to the search warrants of three residences where the couple allegedly stored narcotics and manufactured crack cocaine. The search of 59 Spann Lane, 3865 Military Road and 44 Timber Drive resulted in the discovery of nearly $30,000 in cash, cocaine, marijuana, spice, various items used to the manufacture of crack cocaine and a stolen firearm.
Jordan and Shelton are currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention. More charges are expected against the couple.
Williams said the investigation is ongoing are more arrests are expected.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City construction projects progressing COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY