October 8, 2013 9:35:23 AM
GREENWOOD -- A Greenwood doctor charged in a murder-for-hire case is scheduled to be in court in Greenwood on Tuesday for a hearing on the progress of his mental evaluation.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that Dr. Arnold Smith has been undergoing a court-ordered mental evaluation at the Mississippi State Hospital since June.
Smith's trial has been indefinitely postponed.
Smith is charged with murder as the alleged instigator of a plot that ended with the death of gunman Keaira Byrd and the serious wounding Derrick Lacy. Byrd allegedly was hired to kill attorney Lee Abraham, who represented Smith's ex-wife in their divorce years ago. Abraham was not injured.
Smith is also charged with two counts of conspiring to murder Abraham.
He has been held without bail since his arrest in 2012.
1. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A church within reach COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Starkville to begin mulling residential parking ordinance change STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY