October 9, 2013 10:13:22 AM
West Point selectmen awarded Missouri-based KAJACS Contractors the contract for water and sewer extension to what will be the Yokohama Tire Company site in Clay County during their meeting Tuesday.
KAJACS, the only out-of-state company out of four to submit bids, will soon begin installing the water main and sewer extension for $2,307,083.50, the majority of which will be funded by a grant from the Appalachian Regional Commission. The water extension will reach to the tire plant's tank, which Texas-based Landmark Structures was awarded the contract on last month.
Later this month, Clay County supervisors will begin the bidding process for road construction to the plant.
The tire manufacturing plant's first phase, which is expected to create 500 jobs, is slated to open in October 2015.
All four phases of the plant are slated for completion by 2023.
Nathan Gregory covers city and county government for The Dispatch.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lincoln collection lands at MSU STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY