October 17, 2013 9:50:18 AM
JACKSON -- Jackson police have arrested a teenager in the slaying of 56-year-old bass fisherman James "Jimmy" Johnson on Sunday at a local motel.
Police say in a news release Wednesday that the 17-year-old was arrested Tuesday and charged with capital murder. The teenager is being held in jail pending an initial court appearance.
Johnson was in Jackson to compete at the Bassmaster Central Open on Ross Barnett Reservoir scheduled to begin Thursday.
Johnson and his wife, from Ganado, Texas, were staying at the Motel 6 off Interstate 55, where he was shot and killed Sunday night. Authorities say Johnson was shot after confronting someone burglarizing his boat in the parking lot.
Johnson's wife was not hurt.
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected shooter's family says lover's quarrel led to incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mayor, city employee raises rescinded COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY