October 17, 2013 9:50:18 AM
JACKSON -- Jackson police have arrested a teenager in the slaying of 56-year-old bass fisherman James "Jimmy" Johnson on Sunday at a local motel.
Police say in a news release Wednesday that the 17-year-old was arrested Tuesday and charged with capital murder. The teenager is being held in jail pending an initial court appearance.
Johnson was in Jackson to compete at the Bassmaster Central Open on Ross Barnett Reservoir scheduled to begin Thursday.
Johnson and his wife, from Ganado, Texas, were staying at the Motel 6 off Interstate 55, where he was shot and killed Sunday night. Authorities say Johnson was shot after confronting someone burglarizing his boat in the parking lot.
Johnson's wife was not hurt.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY