October 17, 2013 9:50:18 AM
JACKSON -- Jackson police have arrested a teenager in the slaying of 56-year-old bass fisherman James "Jimmy" Johnson on Sunday at a local motel.
Police say in a news release Wednesday that the 17-year-old was arrested Tuesday and charged with capital murder. The teenager is being held in jail pending an initial court appearance.
Johnson was in Jackson to compete at the Bassmaster Central Open on Ross Barnett Reservoir scheduled to begin Thursday.
Johnson and his wife, from Ganado, Texas, were staying at the Motel 6 off Interstate 55, where he was shot and killed Sunday night. Authorities say Johnson was shot after confronting someone burglarizing his boat in the parking lot.
Johnson's wife was not hurt.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville Utilities employee arrested for embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY