October 18, 2013 9:36:29 AM
BELLEFONTAINE, Ohio -- A western Ohio woman charged with petty theft for allegedly stealing $2.87 from a courthouse fountain says she is jobless and took the change to buy food.
WBNS-TV in Columbus reports the woman pleaded not guilty Wednesday. A police report alleges she stole the change Oct. 7 from the Logan County Courthouse fountain in Bellefontaine (behl-FOWN'-tihn), and an officer asked her what she was doing and found change in her pocket.
The woman says she worries she'll end up in jail for taking money that she says didn't belong to anyone. She says she has no job, is on the verge of losing her apartment and was trying to feed herself and her four cats.
The city's safety director says officials hope to resolve the case before the November trial.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY