October 22, 2013 11:24:14 AM
Starkville Police Chief David Lindley confirmed the aggravated DUI case against Sawyer Tomas Steede, 18, of Lucedale, was continued until Feb. 5.
Steede was charged last month after the vehicle he was driving struck Kaleb Dwayne Barker, 18, also of Lucedale. Barker died Sept. 17 as a result of injuries he suffered at the McDonald's located near the Highway 12 and Spring Street intersection.
Steede, who was released on a $50,000 bond, was slated to appear in Starkville Municipal Court on Monday before the case was continued.
A previous SPD release confirmed Barker was thrown from the bed of the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Steede was driving in reverse after the vehicle hit a curb. Barker was subsequently run over as the truck continued in motion, jumped the curb and came to rest in the Cold Stone Creamery parking lot, the release stated.
Another passenger was injured in the accident.
Steede and Barker were both Mississippi State University students and were roommates prior to the accident.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Columbus man accused of molestation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother, daughter charged with crack possession STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Man killed in University Hills Mobile Home Park shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Auto burglary suspect arrested after foot chase STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Good Samaritan clinic helps Lowndes County residents COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY