October 22, 2013 11:24:14 AM
Starkville Police Chief David Lindley confirmed the aggravated DUI case against Sawyer Tomas Steede, 18, of Lucedale, was continued until Feb. 5.
Steede was charged last month after the vehicle he was driving struck Kaleb Dwayne Barker, 18, also of Lucedale. Barker died Sept. 17 as a result of injuries he suffered at the McDonald's located near the Highway 12 and Spring Street intersection.
Steede, who was released on a $50,000 bond, was slated to appear in Starkville Municipal Court on Monday before the case was continued.
A previous SPD release confirmed Barker was thrown from the bed of the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Steede was driving in reverse after the vehicle hit a curb. Barker was subsequently run over as the truck continued in motion, jumped the curb and came to rest in the Cold Stone Creamery parking lot, the release stated.
Another passenger was injured in the accident.
Steede and Barker were both Mississippi State University students and were roommates prior to the accident.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville settles Pride lawsuit STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY