October 23, 2013 11:21:06 AM
A Columbus man is behind bars after he allegedly shot at law enforcement agents two weeks ago.
Desmond Lavonte Young, 23, of 247 William Roberts Road, Apt. 593, was arrested last week and charged with aggravated assault on a police officer for his alleged role in an incident that occurred during an undercover operation on Oct. 8.
According to law enforcement, two agents with the Lowndes County Sheriffs Department Narcotics Division were in an undercover vehicle in the 2600 block of 5th Ave. N., when they were allegedly approached by Young and another unidentified black male. One of the men recognized the undercover agents as law enforcement and allegedly yelled "shoot they a--!" before opening fire on the vehicle with a .45 caliber handgun. The shooter fled the scene.
Young is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on a $100,000 bond. Narcotics Commander Bobby Grimes said getting armed drug dealers off the streets is one of the top priorities of his unit. "We appreciate the effort put forth by the investigations division over at the sheriff's department. Getting these armed drug dealers off the street as been the focus of Sheriff Arledge and our unit and continues to be," he said Grimes said the investigation is ongoing and more arrests are expected.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A church within reach COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Starkville to begin mulling residential parking ordinance change STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY