October 28, 2013 9:50:35 AM
BILOXI -- The director of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau has resigned.
Beth Carriere (ca-REER') submitted her resignation Friday, the Sun Herald reports, in what board President Duncan McKenzie describes as a surprise.
McKenzie, who heads the Mississippi Gulf Coast Regional Tourism Commission, declines to discuss why Carriere is leaving. She couldn't be reached for comment.
Carriere's resignation takes effect Nov. 8. Commission Vice President Kim Fritz says the board's executive committee will meet as early as Monday to discuss what comes next.
McKenzie says the board could name a replacement early in November.
The former Harrison County Tourism Commission was expanded July 1 to include representatives of Hancock and Jackson counties. The two other counties have two years to fund the regional group or lose their seats.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS