September 9, 2009 9:56:00 AM
A two-vehicle accident in Monroe County took the life of Columbus a Columbus man, Tuesday evening.
At 5:12 p.m. Tuesday, Albert Lee Dixon, 53, of 1421 Third Ave. N. in Columbus was driving a 2001 Ford van used to transport dialysis patients from their home to the dialysis center in Aberdeen, when the collision occurred.
He was traveling on Highway 8 West, about five miles west of the Aberdeen city limits, when the van collided with a 2006 Toyota, according to Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley.
Dixon was thrown from the van, owned by J D & M Enterprises of Columbus.
The van came to rest in the parking lot of Ebenezer Church on Highway 8 West. Gurley pronounced Dixon dead at the scene from apparent head trauma.
There was a patient in a wheelchair in back of the van. She was transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
The driver of the Toyota was transported by family members to NMMC also. Both drivers seemed to be wearing their seat belts, Gurley reported.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol is investigating the accident; further details will be released once an accident report is available.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY