September 9, 2009 9:56:00 AM
A two-vehicle accident in Monroe County took the life of Columbus a Columbus man, Tuesday evening.
At 5:12 p.m. Tuesday, Albert Lee Dixon, 53, of 1421 Third Ave. N. in Columbus was driving a 2001 Ford van used to transport dialysis patients from their home to the dialysis center in Aberdeen, when the collision occurred.
He was traveling on Highway 8 West, about five miles west of the Aberdeen city limits, when the van collided with a 2006 Toyota, according to Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley.
Dixon was thrown from the van, owned by J D & M Enterprises of Columbus.
The van came to rest in the parking lot of Ebenezer Church on Highway 8 West. Gurley pronounced Dixon dead at the scene from apparent head trauma.
There was a patient in a wheelchair in back of the van. She was transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
The driver of the Toyota was transported by family members to NMMC also. Both drivers seemed to be wearing their seat belts, Gurley reported.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol is investigating the accident; further details will be released once an accident report is available.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. The Running Man: Columbus cardiologist fled Uganda death squads as a teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY