October 30, 2013 9:54:45 AM
NATCHEZ -- Sometime in the coming week, Adams County's inmates will be able to get a little face time with their friends and family.
On Tuesday, the sheriff's office started the process of installing the Homewav video visitation system.
The Natchez Democrat reports the system is essentially a tablet computer with a webcam and a telephone receiver mounted on the wall in the common area of each of the jail's 10 cell blocks. Sheriff Chuck Mayfield says it will help expand inmate visitation privileges from 30-minute visits once a week to eight hours a day, seven days a week.
Mayfield says the Homewav system was installed at no cost to the county, and pays for itself through system fees.
Video visits will cost 50 cents a minute.
1. CMSD releases further information on superintendent candidates COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Photos: Budweiser Clydesdales in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Air Force base set to host air show COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. More Highway 12 work begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY