November 1, 2013 9:57:06 AM
Law enforcement officials are searching for answers after a 41-year-old man was found dead from an apparent gunshot and a 14-year-old suffered a self-inflicted stab wound in West Point on Thursday morning.
West Point Police discovered the body of Randy Kelly at his home at 2633 Lone Oak Dr., at approximately 5 a.m. Thursday. Kelly's body was discovered in his bed. Clay County coroner Alvin Carter said Kelly suffered a single gunshot wound to the head.
"It appears that he died from a single gunshot wound to the head and I pronounced him dead at the scene," Carter said.
Carter said an official cause of death would be released after he receives results from the autopsy that is being performed today in Jackson.
Police officials were not available for comment Friday morning. Sources familiar with the investigation said Kelly was the teen's father.
The incident is still under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD names suspect in Jack's incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two arrested in weekend robbery, car chase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY