November 1, 2013 9:57:06 AM
Law enforcement officials are searching for answers after a 41-year-old man was found dead from an apparent gunshot and a 14-year-old suffered a self-inflicted stab wound in West Point on Thursday morning.
West Point Police discovered the body of Randy Kelly at his home at 2633 Lone Oak Dr., at approximately 5 a.m. Thursday. Kelly's body was discovered in his bed. Clay County coroner Alvin Carter said Kelly suffered a single gunshot wound to the head.
"It appears that he died from a single gunshot wound to the head and I pronounced him dead at the scene," Carter said.
Carter said an official cause of death would be released after he receives results from the autopsy that is being performed today in Jackson.
Police officials were not available for comment Friday morning. Sources familiar with the investigation said Kelly was the teen's father.
The incident is still under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY