November 5, 2013 9:44:15 AM
JACKSON -- A teenager charged in the slaying of 56-year-old professional bass fisherman James "Jimmy" Johnson has told a reporter he wasn't at the scene, but police say he confessed to the killing.
Police say the 17-year-old confessed to the Oct. 13 shooting and is charged with capital murder. But as the teen was being taken into a hearing Monday, he told WAPT-TV that he wasn't at the motel.
Johnson was in Jackson to compete at the Bassmaster Central Open on Ross Barnett Reservoir.
Johnson and his wife, from Ganado, Texas, were staying at the Motel 6 off Interstate 55, where he was shot and killed. Authorities say Johnson was shot after confronting someone burglarizing his boat in the parking lot.
Johnson's wife was not hurt.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY