November 5, 2013 9:44:15 AM
JACKSON -- A teenager charged in the slaying of 56-year-old professional bass fisherman James "Jimmy" Johnson has told a reporter he wasn't at the scene, but police say he confessed to the killing.
Police say the 17-year-old confessed to the Oct. 13 shooting and is charged with capital murder. But as the teen was being taken into a hearing Monday, he told WAPT-TV that he wasn't at the motel.
Johnson was in Jackson to compete at the Bassmaster Central Open on Ross Barnett Reservoir.
Johnson and his wife, from Ganado, Texas, were staying at the Motel 6 off Interstate 55, where he was shot and killed. Authorities say Johnson was shot after confronting someone burglarizing his boat in the parking lot.
Johnson's wife was not hurt.
1. Steens woman dies in Lowndes Co. wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes Co. child dies after weekend crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Is Cracker Barrel coming to Columbus? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD introduces after school program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD invests $2M in district's athletic facilities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY