November 5, 2013 9:44:33 AM
A Canton woman was arrested in Columbus this weekend after officers say they discovered crystal meth in her vehicle.
Joanne Pitts, 30, of Canton, was arrested Sunday and charged with possession of methamphetamine, possession of marijuana and driving under the influence after officers with the Columbus Police Department received a 911 call about a woman who was slumped over the steering wheel of a vehicle at the intersection of 5th Street South and 7th Avenue South. When officers arrived on scene they discovered Pitts' vehicle stopped in the middle of the road with the engine running. According to a press release issued by the department, officers smelled "an odor of an intoxicating beverage" on Pitts. A search of Pitts and the vehicle produced two small bags of what appeared to be marijuana and "small clear rocks," according to the release.
Pitts was arrested and transported to the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center. She was released on a $9,207 bond for the three charges.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Leroy Brooks pushes county pay raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY