November 5, 2013 9:44:33 AM
A 14-year-old West Point boy will be charged as an adult in the shooting death of his father.
While the name of the teenager is not being released because he is a juvenile, investigators with the West Point Police Department confirmed Tuesday morning the teen will be tried as an adult.
Police responded to Lone Oak Drive last Thursday after an unidentified female discovered the body of Randy Kelly with a single gunshot wound to the head. Kelly had apparently been shot in his bed. Numerous family members were on scene but Kelly's 14-year-old son was missing. According to a press release issued by the police department, the teen was found several hours later with a severe self-inflicted knife wound and was transported to the University Medical Center in Jackson, where he underwent surgery.
Upon his release from the hospital Friday afternoon, he was taken into the custody of the West Point Police Department. He is being charged with one count of murder and is currently in the Clay County Jail on a $250,000 bond.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Hope senior, Ole Miss signee arrested for stealing guns COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Trainer: Wet N Wild deal unlikely until lake repairs are made STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Investigators looking into suspicious package delivered to Oby's STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY