November 6, 2013 9:39:11 AM
ABERDEEN -- The new trial for David Parvin in the shooting death of his wife has been delayed.
The Mississippi Supreme Court threw out Parvin's conviction and ordered a new trial earlier this year.
Parvin, 74, is charged with murder in the 2007 shooting death of Joyce Parvin, 68, at their Monroe County home. He contends the shooting was an accident.
Parvin was indicted by a grand jury and later convicted and sentenced to life in prison in 2011.
In April, the Supreme Court overturned the conviction and said the judge was wrong to allow certain evidence to be presented during the trial.
Parvin remains in the Monroe County Jail without bond.
Circuit Judge Paul Funderburk granted the delay on Monday after considering the state's motion to exclude certain new evidence or put off the trial's start.
Last week, Parvin's defense team filed a motion for a new analysis of the gunshot, which fired the fatal shot.
In his previous trial, the defense insisted that Parvin was armed with a loaded gun to go outside and shoot beavers. Parvin said the gun accidentally discharged and shot his wife when he tripped inside the house.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY