September 11, 2009 9:36:00 AM
JACKSON -- A state business organization has endorsed changing the name of Mississippi University for Women.
Blake Wilson, president of the Mississippi Economic Council, says MUW must move forward to attract students and research shows there is a need for a new name. Wilson says MEC was not endorsing any particular name.
Last month, MUW President Claudia Limbert announced Reneau University as her pick for the new name after a months-long, committee-based name search.
Limbert says research shows low recognition of MUW outside Mississippi''s borders and perceptions that it is still a school for women. She has projected a loss of students and funding if a change isn''t made.
The state College Board and the Legislature must approve the change.
Leeroy Jenkins commented at 9/11/2009 11:58:00 AM:
Limbert's "research" consisted of a consulting company in which she had personal ties. She is as crooked as her haircut.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB instructor killed in Texas crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman gets prison for MUW embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY