September 11, 2009 9:36:00 AM
JACKSON -- A state business organization has endorsed changing the name of Mississippi University for Women.
Blake Wilson, president of the Mississippi Economic Council, says MUW must move forward to attract students and research shows there is a need for a new name. Wilson says MEC was not endorsing any particular name.
Last month, MUW President Claudia Limbert announced Reneau University as her pick for the new name after a months-long, committee-based name search.
Limbert says research shows low recognition of MUW outside Mississippi''s borders and perceptions that it is still a school for women. She has projected a loss of students and funding if a change isn''t made.
The state College Board and the Legislature must approve the change.
Leeroy Jenkins commented at 9/11/2009 11:58:00 AM:
Limbert's "research" consisted of a consulting company in which she had personal ties. She is as crooked as her haircut.
1. Starkville Walmart murder suspect had criminal history STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Second child involved in Sunday wreck dies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Officer fired for pointing gun at subdued suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Architectural plans in place for downtown hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Walmart shooting suspect charged with aggravated assault STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY