November 14, 2013 10:13:14 AM
GREENWOOD -- Country singer Bobbie Gentry is being honored in her home state with a marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail.
Gentry was born Roberta Lee Streeter in Mississippi's Chickasaw County in 1944. She is probably best known for her 1960's hit, "Ode to Billie Joe." The track earned her Grammy awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 1968. Her other hits include "Fancy," ''Mornin' Glory" and "Mississippi Delta."
The Mississippi Country Music Trail was launched in 2010 with a marker in Tupelo to recognize the birthplace of Elvis Presley. Others on the trail include Jimmie Rodgers, Charley Pride, Conway Twitty, Jerry Clower, Faith Hill and Tammy Wynette.
Gentry's marker is being unveiled today in Greenwood.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS