November 14, 2013 10:13:14 AM
GREENWOOD -- Country singer Bobbie Gentry is being honored in her home state with a marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail.
Gentry was born Roberta Lee Streeter in Mississippi's Chickasaw County in 1944. She is probably best known for her 1960's hit, "Ode to Billie Joe." The track earned her Grammy awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 1968. Her other hits include "Fancy," ''Mornin' Glory" and "Mississippi Delta."
The Mississippi Country Music Trail was launched in 2010 with a marker in Tupelo to recognize the birthplace of Elvis Presley. Others on the trail include Jimmie Rodgers, Charley Pride, Conway Twitty, Jerry Clower, Faith Hill and Tammy Wynette.
Gentry's marker is being unveiled today in Greenwood.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman arrested for alleged box cutter attack COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY