November 16, 2013 10:21:20 PM
SMITHVILLE -- The town of Smithville has received $1.3 million to help with its ongoing recovery from a 2011 tornado.
Gov. Phil Bryant presented Monroe County with a check Friday.
The money will be used to help cover the cost of the town's domed gym and safe room at the Smithville Attendance Center.
The north Mississippi town was devastated by the storm, which struck on April 27, 2011.
The tornado killed 16 people. Authorities said 153 homes, four churches, the Town Hall, the police headquarters and 14 of the 15 businesses in the one-square-mile town were destroyed.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY