November 16, 2013 10:21:20 PM
SMITHVILLE -- The town of Smithville has received $1.3 million to help with its ongoing recovery from a 2011 tornado.
Gov. Phil Bryant presented Monroe County with a check Friday.
The money will be used to help cover the cost of the town's domed gym and safe room at the Smithville Attendance Center.
The north Mississippi town was devastated by the storm, which struck on April 27, 2011.
The tornado killed 16 people. Authorities said 153 homes, four churches, the Town Hall, the police headquarters and 14 of the 15 businesses in the one-square-mile town were destroyed.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Mickens takes on ex-opponent during town hall COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY