November 16, 2013 10:21:20 PM
SMITHVILLE -- The town of Smithville has received $1.3 million to help with its ongoing recovery from a 2011 tornado.
Gov. Phil Bryant presented Monroe County with a check Friday.
The money will be used to help cover the cost of the town's domed gym and safe room at the Smithville Attendance Center.
The north Mississippi town was devastated by the storm, which struck on April 27, 2011.
The tornado killed 16 people. Authorities said 153 homes, four churches, the Town Hall, the police headquarters and 14 of the 15 businesses in the one-square-mile town were destroyed.
1. Police: Columbus man pulled knife on woman, rammed car COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Hump Day chaos sends Columbus cops scrambling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man accused of molestation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Clinkscales out, Amos in as drug court judge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Federal agents arrest man on assault charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY