November 18, 2013 9:01:58 AM
The Lowndes County Sheriff's Department is searching for the man responsible for robbing a gas station over the weekend.
Officers responded to the Shell Station convenience store on Airbase Hill Saturday afternoon after a clerk called 911 to report an attempted robbery.
According to law enforcement officials, a man wearing a skull mask and wielding a knife entered the store around 5:30 p.m. Saturday and demanded money. When the clerk refused, the man walked around the counter and got into brief scuffle with the clerk, swinging the knife at him. The suspect then fled on foot empty-handed.
The sheriff department's tracking dog was called to the scene but could not pick up the trail of the suspect.
Officials believe the suspect may have run down the hill behind the store to a waiting car.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to call the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department at 662-328-6788.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two sessions planned on proposed tax increases COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY