November 22, 2013 9:44:08 AM
CANTON -- Former WLBT TV meteorologist Eric Law will plead guilty Monday to one count of sexual battery in Madison County Circuit Court.
Flowood attorney Matt Baldridge said Law made the decision to spare his family and the victim and her family from the ordeal of a trial.
"Eric is a good guy. He just got caught up in a really bad situation for which he is extremely remorseful," Baldridge said Thursday. "Eric has always wanted to do the right thing. He got caught up in a situation and made some bad choices."
District Attorney Michael Guest says the plea hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday in Canton. Law faces a maximum sentence of 30 years.
Law was indicted in April on two counts of sexual battery and two counts of gratification of lust.
An indictment alleges the sexual encounters occurred at Law's Madison home over a three-month period, starting around the 15- year-old girl's birthday, on Nov. 22, 2012, through Feb. 25, 2013.
Law, 32, had worked at WLBT-TV in Jackson since 2004.
He was suspended by the station shortly after his arrest.
Law remains free on $200,000 bond.
1. Columbus mayoral race gets ugly COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life in prison for capital murder of Lowndes teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ceco property sold to investment group COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. E-911 workers get ultimatum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Young gets 50 years for 2015 gas station shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY