November 22, 2013 9:44:08 AM
CANTON -- Former WLBT TV meteorologist Eric Law will plead guilty Monday to one count of sexual battery in Madison County Circuit Court.
Flowood attorney Matt Baldridge said Law made the decision to spare his family and the victim and her family from the ordeal of a trial.
"Eric is a good guy. He just got caught up in a really bad situation for which he is extremely remorseful," Baldridge said Thursday. "Eric has always wanted to do the right thing. He got caught up in a situation and made some bad choices."
District Attorney Michael Guest says the plea hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday in Canton. Law faces a maximum sentence of 30 years.
Law was indicted in April on two counts of sexual battery and two counts of gratification of lust.
An indictment alleges the sexual encounters occurred at Law's Madison home over a three-month period, starting around the 15- year-old girl's birthday, on Nov. 22, 2012, through Feb. 25, 2013.
Law, 32, had worked at WLBT-TV in Jackson since 2004.
He was suspended by the station shortly after his arrest.
Law remains free on $200,000 bond.
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY