November 22, 2013 9:44:08 AM
CANTON -- Former WLBT TV meteorologist Eric Law will plead guilty Monday to one count of sexual battery in Madison County Circuit Court.
Flowood attorney Matt Baldridge said Law made the decision to spare his family and the victim and her family from the ordeal of a trial.
"Eric is a good guy. He just got caught up in a really bad situation for which he is extremely remorseful," Baldridge said Thursday. "Eric has always wanted to do the right thing. He got caught up in a situation and made some bad choices."
District Attorney Michael Guest says the plea hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday in Canton. Law faces a maximum sentence of 30 years.
Law was indicted in April on two counts of sexual battery and two counts of gratification of lust.
An indictment alleges the sexual encounters occurred at Law's Madison home over a three-month period, starting around the 15- year-old girl's birthday, on Nov. 22, 2012, through Feb. 25, 2013.
Law, 32, had worked at WLBT-TV in Jackson since 2004.
He was suspended by the station shortly after his arrest.
Law remains free on $200,000 bond.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Leroy Brooks pushes county pay raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY