November 23, 2013 8:23:45 PM
MADISON -- The death of a doctor who once was Mississippi's only abortion practitioner has been ruled accidental.
Madison Police Lt. Eddie Lawrence told The Clarion-Ledger that an autopsy performed on Friday showed that Dr. Joseph Booker Jr. suffered a stroke and drowned in a bathtub at his home.
Police found the 69-year-old doctor's body on Thursday after relatives called to express concern that they hadn't heard from him in several days.
Booker used to practice with Jackson Women's Health Organization, Mississippi's only abortion clinic, but they parted ways after Booker filed a wrongful termination suit against the clinic in 2010.
Earlier, Booker had performed abortions at Gulf Coast Women's Clinic in Gulfport.
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD names suspect in Jack's incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Registering their dissent: Nearly 1,000 attend Women's March in Jackson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY