November 26, 2013 9:09:15 AM
FLOWOOD -- A Rankin County man has been charged with discharging a firearm in the city after a pistol in his pocket discharged when he sat down in a church pew in Flowood.
Flowood police Lt. Ricky McMillian says the incident occurred Sunday morning at Pinelake Church.
McMillian says the bullet embedded into the concrete and the shell hit a lady who wasn't hurt.
McMillian says Joseph Edgar Ray had an enhanced carry permit for the weapon but didn't adhere to some of the safety precautions people should take when carrying a handgun.
Officers took Ray into custody and took possession of a 9mm handgun.
Ray was taken to the Flowood Police Department where he was processed and released.
Ray's first court appearance is Jan. 9 in Flowood Municipal Court.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City construction projects progressing COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY