November 26, 2013 9:09:15 AM
FLOWOOD -- A Rankin County man has been charged with discharging a firearm in the city after a pistol in his pocket discharged when he sat down in a church pew in Flowood.
Flowood police Lt. Ricky McMillian says the incident occurred Sunday morning at Pinelake Church.
McMillian says the bullet embedded into the concrete and the shell hit a lady who wasn't hurt.
McMillian says Joseph Edgar Ray had an enhanced carry permit for the weapon but didn't adhere to some of the safety precautions people should take when carrying a handgun.
Officers took Ray into custody and took possession of a 9mm handgun.
Ray was taken to the Flowood Police Department where he was processed and released.
Ray's first court appearance is Jan. 9 in Flowood Municipal Court.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. The Running Man: Columbus cardiologist fled Uganda death squads as a teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY