November 26, 2013 9:09:15 AM
FLOWOOD -- A Rankin County man has been charged with discharging a firearm in the city after a pistol in his pocket discharged when he sat down in a church pew in Flowood.
Flowood police Lt. Ricky McMillian says the incident occurred Sunday morning at Pinelake Church.
McMillian says the bullet embedded into the concrete and the shell hit a lady who wasn't hurt.
McMillian says Joseph Edgar Ray had an enhanced carry permit for the weapon but didn't adhere to some of the safety precautions people should take when carrying a handgun.
Officers took Ray into custody and took possession of a 9mm handgun.
Ray was taken to the Flowood Police Department where he was processed and released.
Ray's first court appearance is Jan. 9 in Flowood Municipal Court.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY