November 26, 2013 9:09:15 AM
FLOWOOD -- A Rankin County man has been charged with discharging a firearm in the city after a pistol in his pocket discharged when he sat down in a church pew in Flowood.
Flowood police Lt. Ricky McMillian says the incident occurred Sunday morning at Pinelake Church.
McMillian says the bullet embedded into the concrete and the shell hit a lady who wasn't hurt.
McMillian says Joseph Edgar Ray had an enhanced carry permit for the weapon but didn't adhere to some of the safety precautions people should take when carrying a handgun.
Officers took Ray into custody and took possession of a 9mm handgun.
Ray was taken to the Flowood Police Department where he was processed and released.
Ray's first court appearance is Jan. 9 in Flowood Municipal Court.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Mickens takes on ex-opponent during town hall COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY