November 26, 2013 9:09:15 AM
FLOWOOD -- A Rankin County man has been charged with discharging a firearm in the city after a pistol in his pocket discharged when he sat down in a church pew in Flowood.
Flowood police Lt. Ricky McMillian says the incident occurred Sunday morning at Pinelake Church.
McMillian says the bullet embedded into the concrete and the shell hit a lady who wasn't hurt.
McMillian says Joseph Edgar Ray had an enhanced carry permit for the weapon but didn't adhere to some of the safety precautions people should take when carrying a handgun.
Officers took Ray into custody and took possession of a 9mm handgun.
Ray was taken to the Flowood Police Department where he was processed and released.
Ray's first court appearance is Jan. 9 in Flowood Municipal Court.
1. Trotter shooting suspect arrested COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Big cat sleepover: Cedarhill holds fundraising raffle for second year in a row COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-circuit clerk arrested for slapping woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Signing off: Longtime WCBI anchor retiring after 44 years on the air COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Presley blasts Net Neutrality ruling during Exchange Club speech COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY