November 27, 2013 10:10:49 AM
CANTON -- Former Jackson television meteorologist Eric Law has been sentenced to serve eight years in prison after pleading guilty Tuesday to one count of sexual battery involving a 15-year-old girl.
Prosecutors dropped three other counts.
A judge sentenced Law to 20 years and suspended 12 years.
District Attorney Michael Guest says Law will have to register as a sex offender and will serve five years' probation.
Law was indicted in April on two counts of sexual battery and two counts of gratification of lust.
An indictment alleges the sexual encounters occurred at Law's Madison home over a three-month period, starting around the girl's birthday, on Nov. 22, 2012, through Feb. 25, 2013.
Law had worked at WLBT-TV in Jackson since 2004. He was suspended by the station shortly after his arrest.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY