November 27, 2013 10:10:49 AM
CANTON -- Former Jackson television meteorologist Eric Law has been sentenced to serve eight years in prison after pleading guilty Tuesday to one count of sexual battery involving a 15-year-old girl.
Prosecutors dropped three other counts.
A judge sentenced Law to 20 years and suspended 12 years.
District Attorney Michael Guest says Law will have to register as a sex offender and will serve five years' probation.
Law was indicted in April on two counts of sexual battery and two counts of gratification of lust.
An indictment alleges the sexual encounters occurred at Law's Madison home over a three-month period, starting around the girl's birthday, on Nov. 22, 2012, through Feb. 25, 2013.
Law had worked at WLBT-TV in Jackson since 2004. He was suspended by the station shortly after his arrest.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY