December 6, 2013 10:22:51 AM
James Harrell, a 22-year-old Mississippi State University student, was killed Wednesday in a single-car wreck on Old West Point Road.
Oktibbeha County Assistant Coroner Billy Miller said the vehicle Harrell was driving left the road near the intersection of Camps Airport Road about 11 p.m. and struck a tree, ejecting the West Point native. Harrell was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident, Miller said. He was pronounced dead at the scene
Although the accident is still under investigation, Miller said county roads were slick that night, creating less than favorable driving conditions.
Harrell is the son of Clay County Circuit Clerk Bob Harrell.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Starkville moms embark on project that looks through the lens of autism STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CPD investigates northside shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY